Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, 11 May 2010

The Curse of the Blackberry

As the world becomes more technologically advanced and companies thrive on competing against each other, creating the most innovative of products. Consumers foam at the mouth over what piece of technology will surely help to eliminate and kind of face to face interaction or physical movement of any kind…next thing you know, you won’t need to be in the same room as someone to have sex with them.

I always considered myself quite modern, but liked to think I wasn’t caught up on having all the new technology, apart from my Ipod and the trusty sky remote to watch re-run after re-run of Friends on E4. I even proceeded to tease my younger sister over her obsessive compulsive behaviour with her Mac and Blackberry or Crackberry that incidentally would make a nice permanent accessory when attached to her hand.

I pictured myself easily slipping into the boho/surfer chick with the “who needs ‘things’ “attitude towards life. This was until my father got an upgrade on his phone and gave it to me…and now begins The Curse of the Blackberry.

What proceeds to look like an unpretentious, fairly bland phone can literally ruin your life. No longer can I hold off my Facebook cravings because, surprise surprise the Blackberry has linked it into the phone via…lets guess..an app! I now not only receive texts and phone calls but am harassed by the little icon saying I have ‘one new notification’, which then leads to constant status updates simply because I can!

My emails get forwarded to my phone, meaning I can no longer go on blissfully ignoring my inbox. It even means I am contactable instantly by BB Messenger..could life get any worse..the answer is yes.

Now phones are banned from the dinner table as me, my dad and sister have our faces glued to the never ending stream of messages that bombard the Blackberry every live long day.

Where have the days gone when a phone could do two things I hear you say? Sadly those days are far far behind and now life depends on one small inanimate object that a company thought would create demand…need…addiction.

Thanks Blackberry, now my life revolves around that one little red blinking light.

1 comment:

  1. so totally agree... I have developed a psychic connection to my blackberry and I know the led is flashing way before seeing it! :P Scary....

    ReplyDelete